The Crossroads International
Student Center, also known simply as "Crossroads," was a
private, non-profit organization located in Chicago's Hyde
Park neighborhood. Founded in 1951 by members of the
Inter-Cultural Association, Crossroads was first oriented
towards international service and activities for Christian
(particularly Roman Catholic) students at the University of
Chicago, but evolved to become "an international student
center dedicated to intercultural understanding and
friendship...open to students of all ethnic, religious and
cultural backgrounds." Activities at the center included
English and foreign language classes, lectures, and social
events. The center's house at 5621 South Blackstone Avenue
offered student lounges, a library, and study space.
Crossroads was governed by
community members who acted in an advisory capacity, and
assisted with the administration of the center. While
Crossroads was independent of the University of Chicago, it
maintained ties to the university's International House and
Office of International Affairs.
In 1995, the Board of Directors voted to close Crossroads due to a decline in funding to support the center's operations.